Let’s talk dental chews
Dogs that chew actively have less plaque build-up. Some types of dog dental treats and diets can reduce plaque by nearly 70%. How do they do this? Simply the mechanical action of chewing can make a difference
Just as with humans, dogs can suffer from oral problems like:
- Bad breath
- Build-up of saliva, bacteria, and food on teeth (plaque)
- A hard yellow or brown residue on teeth (tartar)
- Swollen, bleeding, or irritated gums
How often should my dog be given a dental chew?
Ideally your dog should be given something to chew on for at least 30 mins every day, or every second day at a minimum. This helps prevent large amounts of plaque from accumulating and hardening into tartar.
What dental chew is right for my dog?
It’s important that you choose the right dental chew for your dog. Below is a list to help you choose the right chew.
- Choose the right-sized dental chew for your pet based on body weight.
- Pick dental chews that match your pet’s chewing power.
- Only give dental chews to pets when they can be supervised.
- Throw away dental chews when they are too small to safely chew, or begin to break apart.
Types of chews
We have a large range of dental chews to choose from for large or small dogs, young and old to the soft nibblers to the most powerful chewers. From food chews to toys chews there is something to suit everyone.
- Deer Antlers - These are a great long lasting chew for dogs of all sizes over the age of 6 months. Deer antlers won’t splinter like bones can and are more ground down as your dog chews it. They are odourless and have little to no fat and are high in calcium and other vitamins and minerals. They are also antiallergenic making them suitable for dogs with allergies.
- Goat Horn with marrow - These are a great long lasting chew but more suitable for smaller dogs over 6 month old due to their size. These chews odourless and are high in protein and low in fat, plus they are rich in keratin to ensure a beautiful shiny coat.
- Himalayan Chew - These are a great long lasting chew for all dogs big and small and loved by dogs that are really power chewers over 6 months. The bars need to be softened in your dogs mouth before they can slowly chew it off. They are odourless, lactose, gluten, corn, soy, wheat and grain free with no preservatives or bonding agents. It’s high in calcium and easily digestible and a healthy alternative to raw hide. The Himalayan chew is high in calcium and dogs just love the flavour.
- Spanish Mackerel Tail - The Spanish Mackerel Fish Tails are a single ingredient treat straight from the sea. They are a great lasting chew for dogs and puppies of all sizes full of vitamins and minerals, omega 6, fatty acids .These are best enjoyed outside as they do have a fishy smell
- Shark Tail Bites - These are a good lasting chew for puppies and smaller dogs. They have a high level of omega 3 and 6 which is great for joint health, skin and coat. The shark tail bites are low in odour making them suitable for indoor or outdoor use.
- Turkey Neck - These are a good chew for medium to large dogs over 6 months old. They are high in amino acids and calcium and are easily digestible. Turkey necks are low in odour making them suitable for indoor or outdoor use.
- Soda Pup Peanut - This Peanut is a tough power chewer toy for those dogs that typically wreck everything in MINUTES! It's fun, tantalising and great for enrichment - smear a treat (hey, natural Peanut butter perhaps) and freeze - and watch your dog WORK! Suitable for all ages, dogs big and small.
- Soda Pup Can - Designed for tough chewers big and small, young and old the Soda Pup Can can be filled with your dogs favourite treats allowing them to chew on the toy to help release the treats. This tough chew toy even comes in a magnum range for the toughest of tough chewers.
Now you know all about dental chews, which one will you choose?